- Telephone:+31 20 59 89528
- Room nr:c-529
- Unit:faculteit der aard- en levenswetenschappen (dep. spatial analysis and decision support)
Prof. Dr. Jeroen Aerts has been employed at the Institute for Environmental Studies in Amsterdam since October 2002. He is a professor in the area of Risk management, Climate change, and water resources management. Research and consultancy activities include a vast number of international climate and water resources management projects, including countries as The Netherlands, Central Asia, Bangladesh, Kenya, Southern Africa, India, Vietnam and USA. These projects mainly focus water management related to issues as disaster management, insurance arrangements, poverty & vulnerability reduction, decision analyses and risk management strategies. Jeroen Aerts is the scientific coordinator of the Connecting Delta Cities network (www.deltacities.com) a network on global cities on flood risk management operating under the C-40. He is, furthermore, coordinator of the Dutch adaptation research programme BSIK- KvR (24 Mill. Euro), coordinator of the KvK river research programme (3.5 Mill. Euro) and owner of the GIS based hydrological software ‘STREAM’.
Water management, Risk Management, Insurance, Decision support, Adaptation, Optimization techniques, climate change
PhD. Spatial Optimization techniques and Decision Support systems.
MSc, Physical Geography, Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, UvA University of Amsterdam.
Link to full publication list at IVM since 2002
. Aerts, J.C.J.H., Botzen, W.J., De Moel, H. (2013) Cost Estimates for Flood Resilience and Protection Strategies in New York City. Annals of the New York Academy of Science In press
. Aerts, J. C. J. H., Emanuel, K., Lin, N., De Moel., Botzen, W.J (2013) Low-probability flood risk modeling for New York City. Risk Analysis.33, DOI: 10.1111/risa.12008 (2013)
. Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Botzen, W.J.W. (2012). Hurricane Irene: a Wake Up Call for New York City? Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 2012, 1837-1840.
. Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Botzen, W.J.W. (2012). Managing Exposure to flooding in New York City (NYC). Nature Climate Change, 2, 377.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Botzen, W.J.W. (2011). Climate Change Impacts on pricing Long-Term Flood Insurance: A Comprehensive Study for the Netherlands.Global Environmental Change, 21(3), 1045-1060.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Botzen, W.J.W. (2011). Flood-resilient waterfront development in New York City: bridging flood insurance, building codes, and flood zoning. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1227(1), 1-82.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H., Botzen, W.J.W., Bowman, M. J., Ward, P. & Dircke, P. (2011). Introduction: coastal cities and adaptation to climate change. In J.C.J.H. Aerts, W.J.W. Botzen, M.J. Bowman, P.J. Ward & P. Dircke (Eds.), Climate adaptation and flood risk in coastal cities (pp. 1-8). London - New York: Earthscan.
· Moel, H. de, Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Koomen, E. (2011). Development of flood exposure in the Netherlands during the 20th and 21st century.Global Environmental Change, 21(2), 620-627.
· Botzen, W.J.W., Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Bergh, J.C.J.M. van den (2009). Willingness of homeowners to mitigate climate risk through insurance.Ecological Economics, 68(8-9), 2265-2277.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H., Botzen, W.J.W., Veen, A. van der, Krywkow, J. & Werners, S. (2008). Dealing with uncertainty in flood management through diversification.Ecology and Society, 13(1), art. 41.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H., Lasage, R., Beets, W., Moel, H. de & Vries, A. de (2007). Robustness of sand storage dams under climate change. Vadose Zone Journal, 6, 572-580.
· Renssen, H., Lougheed, B.C., Aerts, J.C.J.H., Moel, H. de, Ward, P.J. & Kwadijk, J.C.J. (2007). Simulating long-term Caspian Sea level changes: the impact of Holocene and future climate conditions.Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 261, 685-693.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H., Renssen, H., Ward, P.J., Moel, H. de, Odada, E., Bouwer, L.M. & Goosen, H. (2006). Sensitivity of global river discharges under Holocene and future climate conditions.Geophysical Research Letters, 33 (19), 1-5.
· Bouwer, L.M. & Aerts, J.C.J.H. (2006). Financing climate change adaptation.Disasters, 30(1), 49-63.
· Kabat, P., Vellinga, P., Aerts, J.C.J.H., Veraart, J. & Viersen, J. van (2005). Climate proofing The Netherlands.Nature, 438, 283-284.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Droogers, P. (2004). Climate Change in contrasting river basins. Adaptation strategies for water for food and water for the environment. Wallingfort, UK: CABI.
· Aerts, J.C.J.H., Eisinger, E., Heuvelink, G. & Stewart, Th. (2003). Multi Site Land Use Allocation for Spatial Decision Support using Integer Programming. Geographical Analysis, 35(2), 512-534
· Aerts, J.C.J.H. & Heuvelink, G.B.M. (2002). Using simulated annealing for resource allocation.International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 16, 571-587.