- Telephone:+31 20 59 89509
- Room nr:a-638
- Unit:faculteit der aard- en levenswetenschappen (dep. chemistry and biology)
- 1990: Master's Degree, Aquatic ecotoxicology, University of Amsterdam
- 1997: PhD Analytical Chemistry (PCBs in mustelids; analysis, food chain transfer and critical levels), Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM), VU University, Amsterdam
Professional employment history
- 2006: Senior researcher department of Chemistry and Biology, Institute for Environmental Studies/Instituut voor Milieuvraagstukken (IVM), Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam
- 2004-2006: Senior staff member research school WIAS
- 1999-2006: Senior researcher, Netherlands Institute for Fisheries Research (RIVO)
- 1999-2002: Project leader environment group, RIVO
- 1996-1999: Post-doc and lecturer dept. of Analytical Chemistry, Vrije Universiteit
- 1994-1996: Scientist, Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM), Vrije Universiteit
Until May 2006 Pim Leonards was employed by the Netherlands Institute for Fisheries Reserach (RIVO) and was project group leader of the Environment group. The main focus of his research is at the development of analytical methods for new contaminants in the environment, the monitoring of contaminants in the aquatic environment (e.g. flame retardants), and the chemical optimization/validation of bioassay methods. He is a participant in several international projects for the European commission or for the industry (e.g. DIAC, FIRE, STAMPS, MODELKEY, NORMAN, CONCAWE, Eurochlor, BSEF, CEFIC). He is sub-coordinator of the exposure assessment theme of the European FIRE project. Pim has a broad experience in trace organic analysis (e.g. brominated flame retardants), ecotoxicology, risk assessment and the organisation of workshops on contaminants. His expertise and interest is also in the field of combining analytical chemistry with ecology and bioassays. Several of his publications focus on the application and explanation of bioassay responses by using chemical measurements.
Previously, Pim has worked at the Vrije Universiteit (Department of Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy), Amsterdam as a post-doc and lecturer on the detection, identification and quantification of new and unknown environmental contaminants using various analytical techniques (e.g. GC-MS, GC-AED/MS) and sampling devices (SPMDs and empore disks). He obtained a Ph.D. degree at the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM) of the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam. During the time at IVM, he was a participant in several national and European projects (Planar CBs (SMT), FAME and EQUATE).
- Veltman, K., Hendriks, J., Huijbregts, M., Leonards, P.E.G., Heuvel-Greve, M. van den & Vethaak, D. (2005). Accumulation of organochlorines and brominated flame retardants in estuarine and marine food chains: Field measurements and model calculations. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 50, 1085–1102.
- Vethaak, A.D., Brandsma, S.H., Kruijt, A.W. & Leonards, P.E.G. (in press). Occurrence of brominated flame retardants in zooplankton and pelagic fish in the North Sea. Research in the framework of the ICES Workshop Biological Effects. Environ. Toxicol. Chem.
- Bakker, J.F., Belzunce-Segarra, M.J., Castro, R., Heuvel-Greve, M. van den, Klamer, H.J.C., Brack, W., Altenburger, R., Poulsen, V., Thomas, K.V. & Leonards, P.E.G. (in press). Effect Directed Analysis and Toxicity Identification Evaluation. In Sediment Quality and Impact Assessment of Pollutants. Elsevier.
- Korytar, P., Leonards, P.E.G., Boer, J. de & Brinkman, U.A.Th. (2005). Group separation of organohalogenated compounds by means of comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography. J. of Chromatogr. A., 1086, 29-44.
- Korytar, P., Parera, J., Leonards, P.E.G., Santos, F.J., Boer, J. de & Brinkman, U.A.Th. (2005). Characterization of polychlorinated n-alkanes using comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography–electron-capture negative ionisation time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J. of Chromatogr. A., 1086, 71-82.
- Korytar, P., Parera, J., Leonards, P.E.G., Boer, J. de & Brinkman, U.A.Th. (2005). Quadrupole mass spectrometer operating in the electron-capture negative ion mode as detector for comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography. J. of Chromatogr. A., 1067(1-2), 255-264.
- Klamer, H.J.C., Leonards, P.E.G., Lamoree, M.H., Villerius, L.A., Akerman, J.E. & Bakker, J.F. (2005). A chemical and toxicological profile of Dutch North Sea surface sediments. Chemosphere, 58(11), 1579-1587.
- Leonards, P.E.G. & Boer, J. de (2004). Synthetic musks in fish and other aquatic organisms. In Rimkus, G. (Ed.), The handbook of Environmental Chemistry; Synthetic musk fragrances in the environment. Vol. 3, Part X. Springer.
- Besselink, H.T., Schipper, C., Klamer, H., Leonards, P.E.G., Verhaar, H., Felzel, E., Murk, A.J., Thain, J., Hosoe, K., Schoeters, G., Legler, J. & Brouwer, B. (2004). Intra- and interlaboratory calibration of the DR Calux (R) bioassay for the analysis of dioxins and dioxin-like chemicals in sediments. Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 23(12), 2781-2789.
- Morris, S., Allchin, C.R., Zegers, B.N., Haftka, J.J.H., Boon, J.P., Belpaire, C., Leonards, P.E.G., Leeuwen, S.P.J. van & Boer, J. de (2004). Distributon and fate of HBCD and TBBPA brominated flame retardants in North Sea estuaries and aquatic food webs. Environ. Sci. Technol., 38(21), 5497-5504.
- Korytar, P., Danielsson, C., Leonards, P.E.G., Haglund, P., Boer, J. de & Brinkman, U.A.Th. (2004). Separation of seventeen 2,3,7,8-substituted polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans and 12 dioxin-like polychlorinated biphenyls by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography with electron-capture detection. J. of Chromagr. A., 1038(1-2), 189-199.
- McHugh, B., McGovern, E., Nixon, E., Klungsør, J., Rimkus, G.G., Leonards, P.E.G. & Boer, J. de (2004). Baseline survey of concentrations of toxaphene congeners in fish from European waters. J. Environ. Monit., 6, 665-672.
- Vos, J.G., Becher, G., Berg, M. van den, Boer, J. de & Leonards, P.E.G. (2003). Brominated flame retardants and endocrine disruption. Pure Appl. Chem., 75(11–12), 2039–2046.
- Eggen, R.I.L., Bengtsson, B-E, Bowmer, C.T., Gerritsen, A.A.M., Gibert, M., Hylland, K., Johnson, A., Leonards, P.E.G., Nakari, T., Norrgren, L., Sumpter, J.P., Suter, M.J.-F., Svenson, A. & Pickering, A.D. (2003). Search for the evidence of endocrine disruption in the aquatic environment: Lessons to be learned from joint biological and chemical monitoring in the European Project COMPREHEND. Pure Appl. Chem., 75(11–12), 2445–2450.
- Kotterman, M., Veen, I. van der, Hesselingen, J. van, Leonards, P.E.G., Osinga, R. & Boer, J. de (2003). Preliminary study on the occurrence of brominated organic compounds in Dutch marine organisms. Biomolecular Engineering, 20(4-6), 425-427.
- Govers, H.A.J., Voogt, P. de, Leonards, P.E.G., Roon, A. van & Kwast, O. (2003). Integrated assessment of pesticides: methods for predicting and detecting environmental risks in a safety net. In Hond, F. den, Groenewegen, P. & Straalen, N.M. van (Eds.), Pesticides, problems, improvements, alternatives. Blackwell Publishing.
- Korytar, P., Stee, L.L.P. van, Leonards, P.E.G., Boer, J. de & Brinkman, U.A.Th. (2003). Attempt to unravel the composition of toxaphene by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography with selective detection. J. Chromatogr. A., 994(1-2), 179-189.
- Lahr, J., Maas-Diepeveen, J.L., Stuijfzand, S.C., Leonards, P.E.G., Druke, J.M., Lucker, S., Espeldoorn, A., Kerkum, L.C.M., Stee, L.L.P. van & Hendriks A.J. (2003). Responses in sediment bioassays used in the Netherlands: can observed toxicity be explained by routinely monitored priority pollutants? Water Res., 37(8), 1691-1710.
- Boer, J. de, Leonards, P.E.G., Klungsoyr, J., McHugh, B., Nixon, E., McGovern, E. & Rimkus, G.G. (2003). Comparative tests to improve the gas chromatographic analysis of chlorobornanes in fish samples. J AOAC Int., 86(2), 432-438.
- Legler, J., Leonards, P.E.G., Spenkelink, A. & Murk, A.J. (2003). In vitro biomonitoring in polar extracts of solid phase matrices reveals the presence of unknown compounds with estrogenic activity. Ecotoxicology, 12(1-4), 239-249.
- Boer, J. de, Wester, P.G., Horst, A. van der & Leonards, P.E.G. (2003). Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in influents, suspended particulate matter, sediments, sewage treatment plant and effluents and biota from the Netherlands. Environ. Pollut., 122(1), 63-74.