Our department’s objective is to increase economic scientific understanding of the interactions between economic growth and the natural environment by developing, testing and applying novel integrated environmental-economic concepts, methods, models and instruments. The department strategy is to consolidate and further strengthen its position as a major player in the European field of environmental economics.
Our department consists of an international research team that shares an interest in analyzing policies, institutions and governance mechanisms in the field of sustainability, and in exploring new forms of governance that better secure a transition to sustainable production and consumption in the Anthropocene.
Our researchers share the same interest in studying hydrological and climate processes, and investigating how these processes lead to risks and opportunities for society, the economy, and the environment. The department is a global leading institute in flood and drought risk assessment as well as risk management research.
With is location in the beautiful city of Amsterdam, IVM offers an high level graduate program in the area of Environmental Science: • The MSc Environment and Resource Management • The MSc Hydrology • An extensive PhD program • IVM participates in the BSc Earth Science and Economics
Dr Philip Ward awarded VIDI grant to examine the socioeconomic impacts of compound river and coastal floodsDr Philip Ward has been awarded a prestigious VIDI grant from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) to examine the socioeconomic impacts of compound river and coastal floods around the world.
- New global dataset supports the hundreds of millions of people threatened by sea-level rise
- Economic Implications of Shutting Down the Thermohaline Circulation
- Toon Haer and Sanne Muis both awarded with a Fulbright Research Grant
- Prof. C.J. Preston first VU Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Ethics of the Anthropocene
- Few places left for summer school on governing climate change
- Wouter Botzen appointed professor at IVM
- Eleftheria Vasileiadou, 1977-2016
- A marine litter symposium with a difference
- A photo story about changing livelihoods in Bangalore’s lake side slums